Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Week Two

Hi again!
Between Monday and Tuesday, I spent two hours getting and returning a camera and then fiddling around with it to see if I could upload the video that way. As I had been having trouble with the tape dec, I decided to use a camera as I was more familiar with that method, but ultimately, it didn't work. So I am calling in the experts, aka Tony Dalton.
On Wednesday, I spent 4 hours editing the footage, figuring out some Final Cut tricks and tips and walking the hard-drive over to the office. I spent about a half hour with Bill chatting about plans for the week and attempting to hand in the video of Dr. Whiteman. There was a wee bit of a problem with the video as I had saved it on a version of QuickTime that most of the computers on campus don't support, so I spent an hour and a half with Tony reformatting the file to work on an older version of the programme.
On Friday, I spent about an hour with Bill filming a few interviews, firstly with Liz Fonseca for her internship with the Allentown Civic Theatre, and then with the members of the Anthropology and Sociology department about the new construction. I was still a little nervous with the camera, but I thought I kept it together and behaved very professionally. There wasn't a set of headphones but I think it went well as the camera said it was recording the different audio levels. It was also interesting watching how Bill's interview techniques differed from person to person. Liz Fonseca was a little nervous going into the interviews, but Bill was very calming and helpful to both her and me. Some of the faculty and staff in the Anthropology and Sociology departments were less eager to participate in the interviews than others, but Bill convinced everyone to participate and adapted his style to each of their personalities. Bill's tact reminded me of what I am currently learning in my Documentary Research; he was very professional but friendly, and constantly reassuring, never pressuring anyone to speak, and never putting words in anyone's mouth.
On Saturday afternoon, I spent two hours playing around with the digital camera and wandering the campus looking for cool things to photograph. I am really unfamiliar with digital photography outside of what silly pictures the typical college student takes to put up on her or his facebook, so it was both educational, and a little scary working with a higher-tech camera. I also spent some time writing down my favourite places on campus that I know from experience will look really impressive when the leaves start changing.
On Sunday, I spent a quick hour capturing the footage from the Sociology and Anthropology interviews. I had less trouble with the tape dec, and the footage looked OK, but the sound wasn't working. I made plans to meet with Tony the next day to see what the matter was.

Total hours this week: 11

Total number of hours thus far: 16.5

No comments:

Post a Comment