Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Week Thirteen

On Monday, I spent two hours going over the essay requirements and drafting a few ideas for each,
On Tuesday, I spent another two hours writing the essays. I'm a wee bit nervous about it as they're supposed to be geared towards fellow students but have to be graded by a "real adult."
On Wednesday, I spent two more hours working on my resume and I think it's in OK shape. I started over again; I don't know why this is taking me so long, I think it's mostly being wiped from finals but also the whole you-will-never-get-a-job-ever-if-your-resume-isn't-great hype. But it's fine. I also spent a half hour phoning back and forth with Plant Ops and emailing them, also. I also spent 6 hours working on editing the first chunk all of my interview footage. I really enjoy editing so I don't usually find it tedious. I learned a few more FinalCut tricks and tools in my Video Production, so I got lost in time playing around with those. Before bed, I also looked through some of the old photos I had taken around campus that I'd never gotten the chance to Photoshop. I only worked on a few of those and picked out the rest of which I thought might be useful to the PR office in the future. I spent an hour and a half touching up and sorting through the pictures.
On Thursday, I spent another hour between meeting and communicating with Bill and emailing and phoning Dr. Sullivan and the Plant Ops team. I also spent an hour and a half going through my blog so polish the entries and make the language slightly more formal. I also re-checked my maths to make sure that I was correct about the number of hours I had done. During the late morning and early afternoon I spent another 5 hours working on the interviews. The rendering process is still taking an inordinately long amount of time, but I am still enjoying the process. I think I am getting better with sound-editing, using my knowledge of L-cuts from Video Production to try and produce slightly more acoustically-polished videos. I also spent a total of 8 hours in the evening into the early morning working on the rest of the videos. For the most part, rendering aside, it went really well as I enjoy editing, even if it's a marathon-session to get to the proper hour-mark. However, FinalCut kept spazzing out on me and reporting a "General Error" and shutting down whenever I tried to work on Shanice's video in the Mailroom. I had to switch computers a few times and restart one of them in an effort to make it work. I ended up giving up on her interview and moving on but the same thing happened with Kwame's interview and I can't really figure out why. I've tried different computers, re-capturing the footage, and using an older version of the FinalCut programme but to no avail. I'm disappointed as both Shanice and Kwame had eloquent and funny interviews that captured the jokiness of the Mailroom staff that were so welcoming to me when I came in for the interviews.
In the wee hours of Friday morning, I spent two hours writing the rest of my essays and revising those that I had written earlier. I am finding it somewhat difficult to sum up all that I have learned within a semester and to verbalise those aspects that have impacted my learning the most. I am finding it slightly bittersweet to write the essays as I have definitely enjoyed my time as an intern, but I wish that I had had more time during the semester to devote to the experience.
Throughout the rest of the day on Friday, I spent an hour between getting DVDs to organise my portfolio and wrapping up my email communication for the semester as well as my blog-entries. I also spent an hour and a half revising my essays and the blog post. I am still debating the proper style in which I should be writing as it is a graded piece, but nonetheless one meant to be received by future students. I spent two hours organising my portfolio and drafting my introduction essay to it.

Total hours this week: 36.5
Total hours thus far: 151

No comments:

Post a Comment